"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."
She was referring to abortion, and although I completely agree with her, lately I have wondered: Isn't it just as tragic for a child to die in poverty so that I may live as I wish?
- "Every day, almost 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes. That's one child every five seconds." (http://www.bread.org/hunger/global/)
- "2.2 million people in developing countries, most of them children, die every year from diseases associated with lack of access to safe drinking water, inadequate sanitation and poor hygiene."(http://blueplanetnetwork.org/water/facts)
Those statistics are staggering! Surely those people are some of "the least of these" that Christ was talking about. (Matthew 25:31-46)
I know that my life is "a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." (James 4:14) I realize that this world is not my home, and I am merely passing through. So I want what I do here to have an eternal impact. I'm not saying that I think we should stop eating out altogether or stop taking vacations (maybe for some people it does mean that), but maybe we could do something crazy and radical (sarcasm) like not eating out as often, even if that means grabbing a pb&j before basketball practice. There must be some frivolities... some "as you wish" kind of things that we can do without. That way instead of only sponsoring one child, maybe we could sponsor two. I don't know yet. What I do know is that God is stirring up something in my heart.
Just some thoughts on poverty.

No comments:
Post a Comment