Saturday, February 11, 2012

Dispelling a Myth


I am sure that if Jason reads this post he'll either laugh or roll his eyes because he has heard me complain about it long enough. Well, this is my platform, and today this is how I choose to use it... Trivial as it may seem.

I can remember as a child someone trying to convince me that blood is blue in your veins until it reaches the air outside of your body/comes into contact with oxygen outside your body. Now this ridiculousness has been twice thrust upon my own children, so enough already! People, your blood is red. ALWAYS RED! When it leaves your lungs (oxygenated) it is bright red. When it returns to your lungs (deoxygenated) it is dark red. But always red! The reason that blood vessels appear blue is because of the way different wavelengths of light are absorbed by your skin or reflected back to your eye: Red light absorbed, blue light reflected. If you don't believe me just google something like "blue blood myth."

Why does this annoy me so? I have been pondering that question. Here's what I've come up with. Besides the fact that I just plain don't like ignorance and I just plain enjoy being right, I am alarmed when Christians pass on scientific misinformation because it gives non-believers a little more ammunition to shoot us down. "No wonder they don't believe in evolution; they believe blood is blue!" or "No wonder they believe God created the world in seven days; they believe blood is blue!" You get the idea.

Okay, enough of that. I feel better. :-)

Update for Katie :-)

4 comments:

Brownie Bunch said...

We are going to need documentation to back up your facts ma'am;-)

Unknown said...

I am cracking up!

Brownie Bunch said...

I love it...lol!

Carla said...

Ok so here's the proof. When blood is drawn from your vein by needle insertion the blood goes in the needle and into a sealed test tube never coming in contact with air and it is still red. Now....there are verying degrees of the color red but it is definately, not ever, NEVER BLUE unless perhaps you are a Smurf!
Mom