My mom and dad started sponsoring a child several months ago. My mom has mentioned it several times, but I never thought too seriously about it. Last month, I was shopping in the Family Christian Store and there was a large display set up for Compassion International. I looked at the faces of the precious children, but didn't sign up. Then, I was sitting in my Thursday morning Bible study a few weeks ago when the topic of adoption came up. Several of my friends have a heart for adoption (as do Jason and I). One friend in particular shared that at this time in their lives, she and her husband know that it is not God's plan for them to adopt, however, she wanted to do something. She and her husband decided that since adoption is not currently an option, they would invest in a child's life in another way, so they decided to sponsor a child. That really made an impression on me! No, we are not in a position to adopt right now, but that doesn't mean we can't do something. And as I reflected back, I felt like God had been trying to bring sponsorship to my attention for a while. So, I waited until Jason's next payday, and we picked out a child to sponsor monthly. I am so excited! We chose a 7-year-old boy from Guatemala named Herod (Jason was sold when he saw that he was wearing a Spiderman t-shirt). I pray that this little boy will grow up to be a man who loves the Lord with all his heart, mind, soul and strength!
Saturday, March 26, 2011
Doing Something
My mom and dad started sponsoring a child several months ago. My mom has mentioned it several times, but I never thought too seriously about it. Last month, I was shopping in the Family Christian Store and there was a large display set up for Compassion International. I looked at the faces of the precious children, but didn't sign up. Then, I was sitting in my Thursday morning Bible study a few weeks ago when the topic of adoption came up. Several of my friends have a heart for adoption (as do Jason and I). One friend in particular shared that at this time in their lives, she and her husband know that it is not God's plan for them to adopt, however, she wanted to do something. She and her husband decided that since adoption is not currently an option, they would invest in a child's life in another way, so they decided to sponsor a child. That really made an impression on me! No, we are not in a position to adopt right now, but that doesn't mean we can't do something. And as I reflected back, I felt like God had been trying to bring sponsorship to my attention for a while. So, I waited until Jason's next payday, and we picked out a child to sponsor monthly. I am so excited! We chose a 7-year-old boy from Guatemala named Herod (Jason was sold when he saw that he was wearing a Spiderman t-shirt). I pray that this little boy will grow up to be a man who loves the Lord with all his heart, mind, soul and strength!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment