I finally finished it! I can't tell you how long I've been reading this book (I started sometime last year), but last Thursday I finally finished it. It's not that is was a bad book, in fact it was really good. It was just a lot of information to take in. The writing is easy to understand, but the topics covered are quite deep. Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster walks through the classic disciplines of the Christian faith: Inward Disciplines (meditation, prayer, fasting, study), Outward Disciplines (simplicity, solitude, submission, service), and Corporate Disciplines (confession, worship, guidance, celebration).Here is a little snippet from the first chapter:
"Superficiality is the curse of our age. The doctrine of instant satisfaction is a primary spiritual problem. The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people... The classical Disciplines of the spiritual life call us to move beyond surface living into the depths... We must not be led to believe that the Disciplines are only for spiritual giants and hence beyond our reach... God intends the Disciplines of the spiritual life to be for ordinary human beings."
I recommend it for anyone who wants to explore practical ways to grow deeper in their faith.

No comments:
Post a Comment