I have been reading through the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan (very good, by the way). About a week ago I came to a place in the book that said this:
"God is all-powerful. Colossians 1:16 tells us that everything was created for God: 'For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.
Don't we live instead as though God is created for us, to do our bidding, to bless us, and to take care of our loved ones...
Can you worship a God who isn't obligated to explain His actions to you?"
And I thought, whoa. Have I often missed the mark or what? I was created for God. My children were created for God. My marriage. My finances. My house. My friends. All of creation. ALL OF CREATION! So, can I worship a God who isn't obligated to explain His plan to me? Yes! Of course!
And then almost immediately...
My mother-in-law called to ask me to pray for my sister-in-law (a breast cancer survivor). The doctor wanted to do a biopsy after her routine check-up. Then...
My dear friend's daughter developed a serious UTI, and she is only eight months old. The antibiotics weren't working and they ended up in the hospital where baby girl had to endure a spinal tap to rule out meningitis. Then...
Another good friend asked for prayer for her mother because it looks like she may have cancer (again). Her sweet, sweet mother who loves the Lord, loves her family, and is always willing to help care for her grandchildren. Then...
Yet another close friend... a sister of my heart... her 14-year-old cousin died yesterday. Suddenly. Unexpectedly. Leaving behind two devastated parents and three grieving sisters.
So, what do you do with all that?
In one week, so much worry, stress, grief, and fear. I can't stop myself in the midst of my prayers from crying out, "Why God? I don't understand. It just doesn't make sense." Then...
I love God. I worship Him. I praise Him. I trust Him. I thank Him. I believe Him.
I may wonder over His plan, but I believe that "in all things God works for the good of those who love him..." (Romans 8:28). And...
I am thankful that "he took up our pain and bore our suffering..." (Isaiah 53:4) And...
I trust that "precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his faithful servants." (Psalm 116:15) And...
I praise him that although we grieve, we "do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope." (1 Thessalonians 4:13) And...
My soul worships with the 24 elders as they say, "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being." (Revelation 4:11) And...
I will spend my life learning to "love the Lord my God with all my heart and with all my soul and with all my strength and with all my mind..." (Luke 10:27) And one day...
"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away... Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!" (Revelation 21:4 and 22:20)


4 comments:
Amen, Em! Careful...you're about to have some church up in here! (spoken in my best southern accent!). I received an email from a lady at the pregnancy resource center I volunteer at today...she was just diagnosed with cancer...and her email was filled with everything about the situation that she is thankful for! It blew me away! This world is so hard, but we have to diligently set our hearts on Heaven to manage life in it. I pray we will stay focused on worshipping Him in all things!! He's do deserving of and worthy of it!!
I needed this...thanks!
I've been muddling through the same stuff this week. I got hit with all that you did and then some...but you are so right! Stace is right....you got some church goin' on up in here! :-)
Oh my......I am speachless.
Amazing words of wisdom. Thanking God for what he is doing in your life.
Mom
Post a Comment