Proverbs 16:18 says "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall." In the picture above, it was the glasses that took the tumble, but memories of that evening sure do help keep me humble! The issue of pride seems to be coming up a lot recently... at least in my life. I never really thought of myself as a prideful person. However, a few months ago God laid my heart bare and revealed to me the depths of my pride in an oh so painful way. It is a lesson that I won't soon forget, but just in case I was tempted to do so, God seems to keep bringing it up in Bible study, in books I read... in an old picture from a friend. My whole life I have endeavored to be good, to do the right things, to be obedient to God. And not that any of those things are wrong, it's just that God has made it abundantly clear that "all my righteous acts are like filthy rags." (Isaiah 64:6) Ouch. I need to love Jesus. To love Him with my whole heart. To stop "trying" to be holy. All those things: goodness, righteousness, obedience, they flow from a heart in love with Jesus. "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." (Micah 6:8)


2 comments:
Didn't mean to "poke" you with the picture. Love you friend!
Love you, love your heart my dear child that is on loan to me from our dear God,the Father, our Lord and Savior. It must be a theme that God is using on us: freedom from what hinders us from living free in Christ Jesus. He has laid on my heart that even being a "good christian" with book knowledge and knowing the right answers can also be a source of pride. So thankful he continues to refine me.
Post a Comment