
This year's costume theme at BRCC's annual Harvest Hoedown was Noah's Ark - Come 2 by 2. I think this is the first year we tried to comply with the theme. Usually we just let the kids dress up as whatever they want to be. We already had a bee costume for Charlotte, so we talked Chloe into going as a bee as well. This was quite impressive considering she is terrified of the real thing! We found a ladybug costume for Sophie and borrowed a ladybug stuffed animal to be her "2 by 2" companion.
Now, to be completely honest, I hate Halloween. I hate the scary costumes. I hate haunted houses. I hate the kids shows on TV about Halloween... except for It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown because really, who could ever hate Charlie Brown? I hate the darkness and evil associated with Halloween. Before we had kids, Jason and I would just leave the house to avoid the whole holiday. However, once we had children old enough to participate we had to reevaluate our approach. As much as I hate Halloween, I love my kids, and my kids love to dress up... and get free candy. The Harvest Hoedown has always been a great Halloween alternative for us. This year we attended Trunks of Fun at Jason's parents' church. Two years ago we let them trick-or-treat for the first time (for the record, I do hand out candy to trick-or-treaters). And last year we let them go to the houses of the neighbors we know and added some houses in Christy and Lincoln's neighborhood as well. I think we'll do the same thing this year, but it still "bugs" me to celebrate Halloween. (Get it?)

No comments:
Post a Comment